Sunday, October 21, 2012

Homemade lip balm recipe

Ahhhhh it's that time of year again.... Cold and blustery.... Mixed rain and snow.... Dry skin, chapped lips and creaking bones...
I'm not big on most of the high priced body butters, lotions, balms and such that most folks are shelling out big bucks for at department stores and natural markets. Over the years I have developed and been using simple made at home recipes :) So much more cost effective and my favorite part is that I am in control of what goes into it.
I want to share a few recipes I've developed but don't want an excessively loooooong post so I'll go at this one recipe at a time!

So here's my simple lip balm recipe:

1.5 oz beeswax
1.5 oz cocoa butter
1 oz Shea butter
1 oz castor oil
1.5 oz sweet almond oil
1 tsp vitamin e oil

I use a starfrit kitchen scale and put my 2 cup glass measuring cup on the scale... Then hit tare... Then I add each ingredient in the order I wrote down here, hitting tare in between each addition. Then place the measuring cup into a small saucepan half full with simmering water. When everything is melted you are done the base. From here you can add flavour oils, some honey for sweetness, essential oils, or leave it as is. I typically remove some of the base to a smaller bowl and add essential oil before putting it into containers... I find that you can reuse old Chapstick containers once you've washed them with hot water and soap... Or you can find lots of online stores with new lip balm tubes and tins.



*you can adjust the recipe to your liking by substituting different oils and butters.... Don't have sweet almond? Use hemp seed oil... Don't have Shea butter? Use mango butter.... Try experimenting! Come up with your own signature recipe!
**my oldest daughter likes a tint in her balm! Here we added a sliver of lipstick to the base and made a layered balm... Each layer has a different scent and colour!

Next post I will put up a recipe for a moisturizing whipped body butter that can also be left unwhipped and poured into tubes to create a solid lotion stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment